Diabetes is a serious disease that can not be cured, it can only be managed with a combination of drugs and proper diet. Sadly, a lot of people have received several wrong information about, diabetes and as a result, many diabetic patients are no longer able to determine, which food is good for them and which is is not.
One major misconception surrounding what diabetic people should or, should not eat is centered around meat. Many people believe that, eating meat will worsen the condition of a diabetic person. While there might some elements of truths in this conception, it all depends on the type of meat in question.
There are many types of meat in the market that are derived from different animals and many of these meats are suitable for diabetic patients.
Here Are Four (4) Meats That Are Suitable For Diabetic Patients.
1. Chicken: chicken is a lean meat which makes it suitable for diabetic persons, and therefore has a negligible amount of fat. But, do not eat the skin of the chicken because, chicken skin contains about 80% of the fat deposit in chicken.
Chicken is very rich in protein. It is also important to note that, diabetic persons should avoid fry chicken instead they should eat boiled or, grilled chicken.
2. Snail: snail is specifically not a type of meat but, I mentioned it because, it has similar texture as meat plus, some snails are as big as meat and can serve as meat. Snails like; marine snails and African slime snails are, good for diabetic persons.
Studies have shown that, snails are a good herbal remedy for diabetes. Snails also have very little fat and are rich in protein, calcium, iron, Vitamin A, Omega-3 fatty acid etc.
3. Turkey: many people refered to turkey as, ‘torotoro’. Turkey is a poultry meat that belongs to the same bird family as, chicken. Just like chicken, the fat deposit of turkeys are found in their skin so, diabetic should not eat the skin of turkey.
Also, turkey are a rich source of protein and other nutrients like protein and vitamin B12. However, try as much as possible to to avoid fried turkey instead go for boiled or grilled turkey.
4. Pork Chop: pork meat is derived from pig and it is one of the most popular meats in the world. Many people believe that, pork meat as a meat that contains a lot of oil.
While that night be true, there is a part of pork called, pork chop that is considered to be lean meat and therefore good for diabetic persons. Pork chops are usually part of the pig’s rib or, pig’s back. Pork chops are also a rich source of protein.
Meat Alternatives That Diabetic People Can Eat In Place Of Lean Meat.
1. Fatty Fish: fatty fish are rich in omega-3 fatty acid, calcium, iodine, zinc and several vitamins like the vitamin B complex.
Fatty fish are a perfect substitute for lean meats for diabetic people. Example of fatty fish includes; mackerel, sardines etc.
2. Sea Foods: the southern part of Nigeria is surrounded by water and within those water lies several sea foods. Nigeria is blessed with numerous sea foods like, crayfish, shrimp, prawn, and periwinkle.
These seafoods are rich in nutrients like, calcium, protein, omega-3 fatty acid etc, which makes suitable for not just diabetic people but, everybody.